If you’re waking up with dark circles under your eyes or aches and pains, it might be time for a new mattress. There comes a time in everyone’s life when you just can’t live with a mattress that’s been around since Bill Clinton was in office. The 1990s were fun, but come on: Your health depends on a good night’s sleep, and your mattress shouldn’t have a “you-shaped” hollow in it.
If you’ve been putting off buying a mattress, it’s probably because they can be kind of pricey. A lot goes into engineering and manufacturing a mattress these days, and new technology promises to support your spine, reduce pressure points and keep you cool and allergen-free. Since you’re making an investment, you want your new mattress to pay you back with hours of deep, restorative sleep and last for many years.
The good news is that you can time your mattress shopping to coincide with sales and inventory turn-overs in the industry to get a great deal on a mattress without short-changing yourself on quality. Here are things to consider for deciding when to pull the trigger on that new mattress purchase:
When to Get the Best Bed and Mattress Deals
- January: January is the traditional month for “White Sales,” when bedding and pillows are often sold at deep discounts. You might be able to get a good companion deal on a mattress at this time, especially if you shop some post-holiday sales since mattress stores know many people receive gifts of money over the holidays. You may also be able to snag a good Martin Luther King Day event as well. The downside of January sales? You might be spread thin as those holiday credit card bills come due.
- April: By the end of the month you should have your tax return in hand, and this bonus cash is a great way to self-finance your new mattress. If you e-file, you can get your cash even sooner and have more time to test drive firmness and foam density to your heart’s content. April is a good time to start looking for “Overtock Sales” as well, since many retailers get new mattress orders in the spring and need to make room by moving out last year’s models.
- May: Inventory rollovers are still going strong in May, and many retailers are working hard to get buyers in the store before the summer shopping doldrums set in. Combine the excess mattress stock with a good Memorial Day sale, and you’ve got the perfect storm of low mattress prices this month — most experts recommend May as the very best month to get a great deal on a new mattress.
- July: Patriotic holidays, like the Fourth of July, are a great time to get bed and mattress deals.
- September: A second wave of new mattress models come to market this month, so you might also find stores with a glut of mattresses looking to make room for new models for the fall. Labor Day sales at the beginning of the month can get you a double-bonus on savings, and you might be surprised to learn that many retailers will sell at those prices well into the middle of the month — even if they’re not advertising it. There are often Back-to-School sales this month – especially in cities and towns with colleges or universities nearby.
- December: Mattress stores are hoping you’ll be prepping the guest room for the holidays or buying a mattress for yourselves as a couple gift so you can often snag a good deals. Stores also want to clear out old inventory so they’ll often hold end-of-the-year blowouts this month.
Then again, you could come upon great mattress deals at other times of the year – like right now! Take advantage of Verlo’s Play Hard, Sleep Soft Sale going on thru 8/7/16. Get your coupons to save!